Thursday, August 29, 2013

Semi Homemade: Apple Pie

Today I'm sharing my take on semi homemade apple pie. I bought pre made pie crust and did the rest myself. I looked up a ton of recipes online and to be quite frank, I hated them all. I knew I wanted both brown sugar and white sugar in my pie and most all the recipes I saw only called for white. Some recipes called for crazy boiling things and straining, and other ridiculous things I didn't want to do. 

So, I decided to make my own. When all else fails, experiment right?! 

And let me tell you guys, this pie was THE BOMB. I made two and brought them down to my family and they were gone in one night. 



Ingredients- 

5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced SUPER thin. The thinner, the better. 

1/4 cup white sugar + extra 

1/4 cup brown sugar + extra 

Cinnamon- be generous. 

Nutmeg- just a sprinkle. 

3/4 cup melted butter 

Directions- 


Peel and slice your apples. 


Mix everything together. 



Pour everything in your pie crust. 


Sprinkle some extra brown sugar on top. Go crazy. 


Cover the pie with an additional pie crust and mold the edges together. 


Make slits all over the pie. 


Sprinkle that baby with sugar. You can sprinkle cinnamon on, too. Have fun with it. 

Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes. If your pie needs to bake longer than that, cover the edges with tin foil so they don't burn. 

** Most recipes say your pie needs to bake for 45 min and I think that's a bunch of baloney. My pie was only baked for 30 minutes and it was perfect. Not burned at all either.  


Voi-la! Delicious apple pie!


Aren't they pretty?!

Let it cool for a couple of hours and then serve that sweet baby up with ice cream a la mode! 

I also tried my take on a Dutch Apple Pie. My husband went nutso ga ga over my apple pie and requested I try the Dutch version next. I'm Dutch so I thought I should give it a go. Instead of putting the pie crust on top, you simply skip that step and put a Dutch apple topping on instead. 



Ingredients for Dutch apple topping-

1/3 cups of white and brown sugar 
1 and 1/4 cup flour
1 stick of melted butter. 

Directions- 

Use a fork to toss everything together until the dough looks like little peas. Cover the top of your pie with this mix and then sprinkle it with cinnamon. 

Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10-20 min. You really need to watch the pie. Take it out when the topping is golden brown. 

I hope you've liked my take on apple pies. I'm becoming obsessed with making pies and I can't wait to try more!

No comments:

Post a Comment